Thursday, September 10, 2009

summer in Maine: a movie and dinner

I had a truly delightful evening a few weeks ago when I went to see "Julie and Julia" at the wonderful old Criterion theater in Bar Harbor, and then to dinner at the entirely delightful Michelle's at the Ivy Manor Inn. I'd been meaning to eat there for some time, but since it is classic French cuisine, this was the perfect opportunity. How classic?
Perfect local oysters on the half shell
Lobster Thermidor!
Creme Brulee
a divine Pouilly-Fuisse
A lovely, warm, clear evening.
Summer in Maine.

In case you've ever wondered if Julia Child was indeed like that, I remember being at the Oceanarium in Southwest Harbor - I'm guessing that it was in the 80s - and hearing that unmistakable voice inquiring "is it edible? how would you cook it?" A wonderful memory. Julia is the absolute proof that one person with passion and a huge dream can indeed change the world, and we're all richer because she did just that.

No comments: